Proper Shinny Etiquette: 101

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#81 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

People who try on the backcheck. lol c'mon

Back checking isn't that bad if it's legal and not really too invasive. I more or less hate when idiots hook you and shit when you go around them or when they grab onto you. You're a pile if you do stuff like that

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#82 greghughes

greghughes
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Back checking isn't that bad if it's legal and not really too invasive. I more or less hate when idiots hook you and shit when you go around them or when they grab onto you. You're a pile if you do stuff like that

this, or the overly-aggressive backchecking

Looking for retro Ducks set!

#83 mersss

mersss
  • LocationMontreal, CAN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Well I prefer to see a guy who backchek hards over a guy who stays at the fkn red line for the breakaway

#84 DatsyukZherdev

DatsyukZherdev
  • LocationLetterkenny, Ontario

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

I've never seen anyone ever just wait for a breakaway, cause nobody will pass it to them if they try that lmao. It's become where I can't even wear a visor with the retards that show up now 

#85 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

There's a fine line between back checking at shinny especially when there is 1 nice guy who always plays defense haha

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#86 DatsyukZherdev

DatsyukZherdev

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

There's a fine line between back checking at shinny especially when there is 1 nice guy who always plays defense haha

:headbang:

#87 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

It's become where I can't even wear a visor with the retards that show up now 

where the hell do you play, i guess i'm pretty lucky with the shinny's i go to, majority of the people know what to do and how to behave. You always get that one loose-ball here and there but then everyone makes fun of him or doesn't pass to him and the dude usually gets it pretty fast 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#88 maverick72

maverick72

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

We play with checking (not open ice) but the thing is a couple of guys learned to skate late and don't have really good balance or think you use strengh to check.  Sometimes they go too hard loose balance and the stick goes high (hey look a face).  I get really pissed off cause even if they don't do it on purpose they forget the first rule of hockey (that they never learned) ... YOU ARE RESPONSABLE FOR YOUR STICK!!!!!

#89 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

We play with checking...

Really?! That must be interesting. Hope you all know each other real well, that would turn into a real shit show otherwise.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#90 spudrock512

spudrock512
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

This is interesting, because it was a moment backchecking when I felt I finally belonged out on the ice.  Being a newbie player, a veteran player had the puck on the wing moving up the ice, I got on the horse, lifted his stick, and was able to turn with the puck and create a scoring chance for my team.  It was actually more fulfilling than scoring a goal, because I felt I was competitive and was helping the team instead of being a liability.  Everyone I play with is really accomodating to those with little experience, but being a new guy, you know you are kind of hurting your team; but it was at this moment I felt I actually belong on the ice with those that have more experience.  I completely agree with that slashing and hooking crap though, that doesn't belong. Anything that would normally be a penalty in a game, don't do it in a shinny.

#91 MikeO

MikeO
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Dealt with a lot of this crap on Saturday.  I do a 6AM skate where it's typically the same group of guys out there every week.  Always a few guys who randomly show up, but they fit in well.  Saturday had one kid, 13 or 14 years old who broke some major rules.  No defense, stuck himself at the red line the whole time.  When any of us would get the puck you'd immediately hear him calling for it.  At the beginning, some would actually pass to him, where he'd just puck hog the whole time (never, ever passed).  Eventually we caught on and most outright refused to pass it to him. Excessively long shifts....five minutes or more.  Most of us are older (a few midgets...then the age range goes up into the 40's...majority of us are later 20's to early 40's) and we'd try to tell him at this drop-in we emphasize quick shifts to give everyone equal time...never listened.  Celebrated every goal he scored like it was game 7.  The goalies there Saturday were about 50 years old.  They come out to have fun and to give us something better than posts to shoot at....I can only imagine having some little kid act cocky for scoring on a cherry-picked breakaway in shinny would be rather frustrating for them.  

Last 10 minutes of the two hour session, most of us just want one last shift, he stays out there for the whole 10 minutes until the Zamboni doors open.  Then when coming off the ice he brags "I scored three times on one shift".  

What's worse than all that is the fact his dad was there watching, and actually came over giving him shit for bad play a couple of times.  Instead of teaching his son about etiquette and sportsmanship, he's griping at him for any little thing he did wrong and actually threatened him with 'running X miles' if he did it again.  So...I guess that's where it comes from.  

=================================

With regard to slapshots, I think it's all judgement.  Never take a slapper into traffic.  If it's just you and the goalie, you're at decent distance, and you aren't head hunting with your shot, then go for it. I've never heard of a goalie actually complain about someone taking a slapshot at them.  The one thing I ALWAYS hear about are when drop-in sessions turn into never ending breakaways with cherry pickers.  Goalies hate that shit, and I don't blame them.  For me, I don't go to shinny for breakaways, and luckily the sessions I regularly attend have people with the same attitude.  Even when most of us do have one, we'll hold back and wait for people to catch up.  I'm all about puck control and I find that much more fun than a breakaway.

#92 maverick72

maverick72

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

Really?! That must be interesting. Hope you all know each other real well, that would turn into a real shit show otherwise.

Thing is the majority of the tournements we play in are with checks so we have to practice them somehow.  We do try to not hit the one's that are not used to but we go hard with the people that know the game.  I love the physical play in practice but it's really draining energy wise.

It's also interesting with the backchecking cause i'm pretty sure if i don't backcheck somebody from my team will hit me in the head.

#93 DatsyukZherdev

DatsyukZherdev

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

I know what most of you mean but it used to be really good here but then turned into a shit show this past year with no real reason why. frustrating when you know how good it used to be to now with just people who don't care where they swing or don't stop causing collisions  

#94 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:52 AM

I'm not reading that novel ....

#95 pure_dust

pure_dust

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

I throw head high clap bombs from tops of the circles at shinny just for gigs #50in07

But a serious response, usually around me its a decent amount of either beginners or people who try to dangle the whole game and mess around. I'm too competitive and have the most fun when I have to try and put forth an effort, so I tend to stay away and stick to my Sunday leagues that are very competitive especially with people coming home for summer

#96 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

so randomly i decided "i'll skate on this play instead of coast during pickup like i do"

Grabbed the puck, rounded out behind my goalie, went around a forward, around another, cut the middle and passed the second defenseman for a breakway, and the guy reaches from behind and puts me in a headlock.

I shove him off and put my stick up stare at him murderously and he says "sorry man i had to, couldnt let you score on that play you know, you can get around me but you aint scorin"

At fucking pickup.

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#97 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'll try to keep this rant simple and quick. Anyways I used to go to a 6am pickup shinny at the local rink (mostly the same guys show up with a few newbies). So some kid in prob. his mid 20s and his brother show up wearing their mens league jerseys. The guy who organizes it ask one of them to switch jerseys and teams because of the unfair teams. After 10min of bitching and whining he finally gets to the bench to play. What does he do for his 1st shift ? He never sits on the bench again, took an hour long shift and never got off once. I have yet to go back haha

#98 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

6am shinny skates? damn

#99 hyprlte

hyprlte
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

+1 lol that's dedication

#100 DespicableChang

DespicableChang
  • LocationKankakee, Illinois

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:58 AM

We got a nice drop in once a week.  Mostly the same guys show up.  A few of us play full checking.   We all know who we are and don't run anybody that isn't up for it.  However, there are 2 or 3 of us who will do some policing if somebody is slashing, roughing up benders, or even just being a tool bag.  We occasionally have to yell at the danglers to move the puck or at a guy for taking a long shift.  It wouldn't work anywhere else but because the 2 or 3 "cops" are intimidating and can lay some big hits on each other, it actually works out VERY well.  We have very little nonsense usually, we still have the "checkers" hitting each other but otherwise it is very welcoming even to new skaters.  

It is what I love about the game that is now changing so much.  This game is so awesome because of the "respect" built into it.  We are lucky enough to have some physical players who are really good guys that want to keep our drop ins, competitive, and team oriented rather than breakaway-fests where guys end up never passing and bullying the new skaters.  All they have to do is have a chat with one of the "tools" and usually it is all cleared up.  

Most guys are cowards at heart anyway.  Some big thug slashing the piss out of you cowers up and wilts when told that we don't play like that but we will start to lay some body checks on him if he'd like to continue swinging the lumber.