Photo

Proper Shinny Etiquette: 101

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#41 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

I remember playing shinny here and there where the general rule on slap shots was if nobody is between you and the goalie then by all means have at er, but if there's anybody in the way then forget it.

I guess when it comes to the slap shot rule it all depends on the type's of players that are there at the time and what the goalies want as well. Some people feel that for what it's worth to take a slapper may also be the sole reason for someone missing work so...

#42 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Been playing shinny in Toronto since the early 90's
From city run , privately run , friends ...

No slap shots ever allowed except for as hab says , all alone with you and the goalie.

#43 MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup
  • LocationSt. Albert, AB, Canada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Being a goalie, we go to shinny because some of our buddies are going. It's shinny, not a game situation. In a game, go ahead and take a slapshot. But there's nothing worse than having someone rip a clapper at you in shinny. This is why in some places goalies do not show up anymore. Personally, in my experience between the pipes at shinnies, people have less control over slapshots than wrist or snapshots. I have stopped going to shinny sessions for the fact that I already take enough uncontrolled slapshots in Junior C. I do not need to refurb my mask every couple of months because of uncontrolled slapshots. 

I dont know, the drop ins I go to you can never know what to expect. I kind of look at it like a respect factor. You want a goalie to show up, it's better than playing posts, so take it easy on them. Most of the time you do not even get a skilled goalie come out to some drop ins. This is just the way I look at it, not putting any one else down or anything to that effect, just a debate!

Looking for the following..

Any Mathieu Perreault Gear

Size Small Navy 9k Shells

Any Smaller Jets/Moose Gear

13" Navy Base Gloves

#44 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Never knew goalies didn't like snapshots .... Nobody has ever said anything.

I'm sure they would if one hit em in the face.

#45 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

All the goalies I know {including myself when I'm in the pipes} love slap shots coming at them, shinny or not, but to each their own I guess. :dunno:

#46 DatsyukZherdev

DatsyukZherdev
  • LocationLetterkenny, Ontario

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

I know tons of goalies who absolutely hate shinny in general just because of no D and so many breakaways I used to always think if I were a goalie I'd love to get out there but understand it way more now then I did before 

#47 balsy17

balsy17
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

What about getting totally baked out of your mind before shinny or downing a few pitchers at the rink pub before hand?

-_-

#48 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

What about getting totally baked out of your mind before shinny or downing a few pitchers at the rink pub before hand?
-_-

I can't drink before I play I don't know how some do it.

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#49 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:41 AM

At lunch time from 12-1 on Tuesday - Friday the rink has shinny which is just stick+gloves+skates+helmet. I go just to get a skate in and mess around but for the most part it's old guys and people who can't really skate so it's not fun at all. They put up pilons and everyone shoots at it.

The part where it gets annoying is, guys who cherry pick the red line when there's no goalies, they think they are cool when they get a break away then skate it and lightly tap the pilon with the puck. I usually take zero shots because it's in no way satisfying and I have no interest in trying to shoot at a pilon when guys really try to stand infront of it even with no equipment on like morons.

If I do get a break away, the goal then is to hit the cross bar for me. There's one old guy that even winds up and takes clappers when he thinks no one is in the way, which his shot sucks anyways but it's still annoying to see. Plus he's THAT guy that hooks and rides with his wooden stick and leave cut marks on your arms. I haven't had a serious injury ever playing shinny there, but I definatly don't try as hard as they do, I don't put myself in lanes EVER. Another MAJOR annoying thing is the guys with garbage $5 bin sticks that hack and wack yours every chance they get.

Sometimes these guys just don't get it and they bring their goalie buddies. This is where it gets stupid. I say it every time I see these goalies that it's stupid and shouldn't be allowed. As soon as they bring a goalie to stick and puck, what happens? Shots come up, they get harder. Guys want to score. This is when guys get hurt. It's just stupid. Anyway that's what they classify as "shinny" here. Full gear plus goalies at the other rink programs is just called noon rec. Those ones are better because it's actual hockey, usually junior guys just going for a skate and the game is faster pace. I like those for sure but as far as the shinny goes, it's just to get a skate in and practice a few things when everyone gets off the ice.

#50 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

skated last night, had a great session cause it was just one of those nights when you feel like you're flying out there. 

Only had few annoying things:

1) i pick a puck off of a guy on the other team, dish it cross ice to a guy that started breaking away, i wheel my ass fast so that it end up being a 2 on 1 and the the guy doesn't even pass. This happened 3 times with the same guy, he just choosed to rifle it at the goalie. 1 time i wouldn't care but i was open all three times cause they turned into 2 on 1 situations. I'm a pass first kind of person so when i get the puck i look to move it forward right away. Some people are so retarded.

- learn to pass at shinny. That's what you're there to do, make some nice plays, don't be a puck hog.

2) Cellies in shinny. I had a guy that i see every week at puck do Jagr salutes, the windmill and other various cellies when he scores. Tone it down bud.

- Cellies in shinny are you f*ckin kidding me....

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#51 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

People who complain about not receiving the pass on a 2 on 1 are a shinny complaint of mine. It's a 2 on 1, shooter always gets the choice. If the guy wants to shoot, let him freaking shoot, you aren't playing for contracts, it's not a big deal. They aren't "retarded" cause they didnt pass to you on a 2 on 1, you're just selfish.

#52 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

It happened like 3-4 times.... I don't care if it's once or twice but when it keeps happening then it's kinda annoying, especially. When ur the guy always dishing it the whole time

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#53 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

All depends what type of person you are ....
I'm a passer , so I'd pass
If I were a shooter , I'd shoot

Maple , where did you skate last night ?

#54 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

on a serious note.

it seems the issue isn't so much about slapshots.

its the fact that 95% of the people at shinny cannot take a proper slapshot, or even know when to for that matter.

i think the biggest problem/pet peeve at shinny is the lack of hockey (common) sense because for the most part, thats when people get hurt. there's absolutely no problem with being a beginner or not a good player, but if you lack common sense, you're going to be a hazard to everyone including yourself.

#55 ken6473

ken6473

2013 and 2015 S2K Playoff Challenge Champion

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

Or this dude could show up...

Sometimes I tuck my junk between my legs and pretend to be a woman if that's what you meant?

#56 BostonBruins

BostonBruins
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

Wtf?! This kid has to be out of his mind..
Always looking for BOSTON BRUINS gear!

Looking for Tampa Bay Lightning 3rd Set. Practice Jersey in Size 56, Size medium shell, 13 inch bauer/apx gloves.

#57 DatsyukZherdev

DatsyukZherdev
  • LocationLetterkenny, Ontario

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Or this dude could show up...

What in the fuck

#58 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

on a serious note.

it seems the issue isn't so much about slapshots.

its the fact that 95% of the people at shinny cannot take a proper slapshot, or even know when to for that matter.

i think the biggest problem/pet peeve at shinny is the lack of hockey (common) sense because for the most part, thats when people get hurt. there's absolutely no problem with being a beginner or not a good player, but if you lack common sense, you're going to be a hazard to everyone including yourself.

You live in Toronto , you should know by now not a lot of people have common sense. Ha ha ha

#59 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

Maybe it's an American thing ?

But as the old saying goes "once you pickup a gun , you can't put it down"

#60 olioli

olioli
  • LocationBearded Clam County

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

You never know when you gonna have to cap someones azz...

Unbelieveable....