Photo

Proper Shinny Etiquette: 101

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 twistoffate19

twistoffate19
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:37 AM

Mine are a repeat of what most people have already said so I'll try to narrow down my biggest ones:

1) Black or White jersey. Seriously, you can get a cheap blank jersey for $15 from a local store. There is one group I play with where it is the same guys every week and one team does wear red, but all of them are red. That is fine. Otherwise, bring a white, bring a black.

2) Bring your own damn water bottle. Yes, I have done the vinegar and/or vodka in the bottle trick to someone to send a message (they were warned before). My bottle is clearly labelled with my name, there is no excuse for not bringing your own. Once again, $5 gets you a decent bottle.

3) Keep your sticks down. The scar under my lip is a clear reminder why.

4) Keep shift lengths reasonable.

On the note of what spud was saying above me, I'm never quite sure how to play against people new to the game. We've had a couple come out and join our group a couple times, and personally I love seeing new people take up the game. I'm actually glad they are doing it at shinny instead of joining a league that may be above their skill level.  I've just gotten into the habit of asking them how they'd prefer to be played against. So far, no one has been insulted by the question and it has made their experience better because they are able to dictate their learning speed.

Items for Sale Picture Album Found Here: http://imgur.com/a/JufvE

Always on the hunt for Doughty sticks

#22 FCB51

FCB51
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

Super long shifts. Hate them. That shit gets me everytime.

#23 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

guys , iam guilty of the "here here , drop it , behind the net" chirp.....

Why not ? if i can catch somebody ..... i find it funny

most do as well when they notice iam not on their team.

i did however have some girl tell me to "go to fing hell"

#24 Ev--NYR

Ev--NYR
  • LocationMilton Keynes, UK

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Agree to all of this. Have seen way too many "go-hards" in my time. Playing in the GTA there's always tons of scratched OHLers that randomly show up and think pick up revolves around them.

Oh, and I'm totally guilty of a red jersey lately. But to be fair I had a black and white in my bag.

Hung Like A GeeGee

#25 buckeye

buckeye

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

bring a dark and a white

don't take a slapper and rarely take a clapper

look for the pass whenever you can

avoid contact with body and stick

don't float; if you're floating you can almost guarantee you're taking too long of a shift

don't dangle the bogeys repeatedly

try to bring a guy who has both player and goalie pads with you

#26 Yetso

Yetso
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Play to the level of the game... If there aren't many people there, don't push yourself so that us out of shape guys are struggling after a few minutes. We're just out there to have fun, not to be reminded how out of shape we are.
Phrasing people! Phrasing!!!

#27 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Wearing &*@!ing gear.
Nothing worse than the two kids who show up in a sweatpants and sweatshirts and expect to play a fast paced game.

If they were let on the ice I would just start wiring passes to players through these idiots, hopefully one would connect. It's shiny with equipment for a reason, no one wants to get hit with the puck but you are playing with a puck. I've seen a couple idiots come to a shinny near me with just sweats and a hoodie too. If you want to be stupid then pay the consequences.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#28 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

A good rule that is implied but not mentioned is watch your contact. I've played at shinny where guys think it's ok to rub out. Or I've had a couple idiots get real defensive with their body when ive got the puck. We're playing shinny, no one is ready or expecting any hits or hard contact.

Also keep your fucking hands to yourself. I've clearly beat guys by skating around them or stick handling through them for breakaways and somehow they think it's ok to grab my arm or shoulder or aywhere they think is acceptable, it's a penalty in a real game so what do u think makes it acceptable in shinny.

A huge pet pieve of mine is when guys hook or tap you around the glove area with their stick. All it takes is an errand stick and you're missing chiclets. Older guys are notorious for that. Keep that damn stick down.

#29 MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup
  • LocationSt. Albert, AB, Canada

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

A good rule that is implied but not mentioned is watch your contact. I've played at shinny where guys think it's ok to rub out. Or I've had a couple idiots get real defensive with their body when ive got the puck. We're playing shinny, no one is ready or expecting any hits or hard contact.

Also keep your fucking hands to yourself. I've clearly beat guys by skating around them or stick handling through them for breakaways and somehow they think it's ok to grab my arm or shoulder or aywhere they think is acceptable, it's a penalty in a real game so what do u think makes it acceptable in shinny.

A huge pet pieve of mine is when guys hook or tap you around the glove area with their stick. All it takes is an errand stick and you're missing chiclets. Older guys are notorious for that. Keep that damn stick down.

Completely agree. Sadly most older players think its fine 100% of the time, until you return the favour, then they think its wrong.

Looking for the following..

Any Mathieu Perreault Gear

Size Small Navy 9k Shells

Any Smaller Jets/Moose Gear

13" Navy Base Gloves

#30 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

A few more:

Play some sort of positioning, we don't need five centers on each team.

Don't practice your newest celly's during warm-ups... just don't.

Wash your gear every once and awhile. Nobody wants to sit beside the guy in the locker room who reeks of cat piss...

Also, try to bring two sticks. Some guys starting off may be exempt from this since they are deciding if this is long term or not, but if you are a seasoned vet or at least plan on playing for years to come... bring two sticks, please. You're not breaking mine @$$hole!

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#31 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

Don't practice your newest celly's during warm-ups... just don't.

This reminds me of a great story! A guy was messing around with his friends and they were doing cellys. The guy jumps on the glass which was right where a door was and don't you know it the door opened and he fell thru hahaha

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#32 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

Mincy , i like the cat piss one. People smell so bad ..... At least wash your jersey.

The 2 sticks , i dont like. People walk off with sticks very easily , so i bring one and if it breaks ill go home.

#33 maverick72

maverick72

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

I agree with most of the stuff here but one....

Playing hockey without slapshot is not hockey.... period.   It's ok at the pond or exterior ice but not in an arena with fully dressed players.  Must not be fun to goalie those games.

We have players with fewer than 3 years of experiences (some can't even skate backwards) and we have top notch near pro level players with jet shots.   Our female goalie wouldn't want it any other way.

Oh but we play fully dressed.  Shoulder pads are not an option.  Contacts are allowed but only on boards not on open ice.

In 6 years in playing "beer league" hockey and tournements accross Europe i've never seen a no slapshot game.

Age level?  high 20's mid 30's but we have like 5-6 40's and 50's and 1 60+

#34 buckeye

buckeye

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Playing hockey without slapshot is not hockey.... period. It's ok at the pond or exterior ice but not in an arena with fully dressed players. Must not be fun to goalie those games.

We have players with fewer than 3 years of experiences (some can't even skate backwards) and we have top notch near pro level players with jet shots. Our female goalie wouldn't want it any other way.

Oh but we play fully dressed. Shoulder pads are not an option. Contacts are allowed but only on boards not on open ice.

In 6 years in playing "beer league" hockey and tournements accross Europe i've never seen a no slapshot game.

Age level? high 20's mid 30's but we have like 5-6 40's and 50's and 1 60+

the drop in I play in is mostly former or current college players and former jackets (staff/invite every week) and if you haven't taken a slapshot from someone who can murder a slapshot then I guess that makes sense.

of course you let them go in a game (even a beer league game), but even in normal drop ins here the only time I see a slapshot is when someone is on a breakaway and they are going for pipe because only 1 goalie showed.

no one wants to leave with a broken foot or anything because of shinny so you never see them here.. maybe it's different where you are haha

#35 hyprlte

hyprlte
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

slapshots belong in hockey

dangles are always appreciated

an assist is always better than a goal

if your friend has the puck and you have the chance to take him out..... absolutely!!!

All mentioned above is assuming everybody is at the same skill level lol!

Ill only go if i know somebody playing.  They usually give me the info (skill, rules, expectations) about the skate and if i don't agree with it, i just thank him and decline.  

Its shinny... It should be FUN

#36 DatsyukZherdev

DatsyukZherdev
  • LocationLetterkenny, Ontario

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

Broke the skate holder last night for being in the way of someone's clapper hahahaha!

#37 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

strictly sauce

that is all.

#38 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Playing hockey without slapshot is not hockey.... period. It's ok at the pond or exterior ice but not in an arena with fully dressed players. Must not be fun to goalie those games.

We have players with fewer than 3 years of experiences (some can't even skate backwards) and we have top notch near pro level players with jet shots. Our female goalie wouldn't want it any other way.

Oh but we play fully dressed. Shoulder pads are not an option. Contacts are allowed but only on boards not on open ice.

Age level? high 20's mid 30's but we have like 5-6 40's and 50's and 1 60+

I disagree, there's a reason that there's no slap shots at shinny. You go out to have fun and exercise and practice your passing and whatnot. At open shinny's there's such a crazy mix of skill level. How would you feel if you smoked some n00b that just started playing which in turn may get him off of playing the sport in general.

slapshots belong in hockey

Shinny IS NOT game situation. Slap shots don't really serve a good function unless you're playing in game situations. If your slap shot goes in through a crowd of people or ricochets off something and in then is that really something that you'd be proud of and brag about? How about learning how to get a nice snapshot or wrister down or dishing that super nice pass and making a pretty play.

Everyone at an open shinny has a job to go to and things to do the next day. I run my open personal pick up session every saturday in Mississauga which a few members of this forum attend and it's always packed every Saturday. I enforce and tell people that there are no slap shots unless you're wide open, short shifts and don't cause shit or you're not invited back. I rarely ever have people get hurt at my session cause of those rules and everyone has fun. Don't get me wrong it does get really competitive cause i get guys who play triple A and a couple Junior guys out, at the same time i have some newer players out as well, but somehow it all works. It's competitive in good nature. Why do i know this method works? I get at least 17-20 guys per session and usually i always have to turn away players because it's full.

Another reason that you shouldn't have clappers in pick up is the fact that there's a lot of guys like me who aren't wearing shoulders. LIke i said you go to pick up to have fun and shoot the puck around, not to take one off the foot, face or somewhere dangerous then be out for the next week or two.

I think that taking clappers with a crowd of people in front of you would put you into the "go hards" or "douche bags" that you see at shinny.

You say that you've never seen a no-slapshot pick up or game. In Toronto every pick up i've been to does not have slap shots except for the odd idiot. If i'm at a pick up and someone lets one rip then people on the bench and the ice usually have the "WTF" look on their face. Also in Toronto they also have mens leagues with no slap shots.

You should have respect for one another and think of it in the sense of putting yourself in the other guys shoes. Is it really a good excuse to not go into work or school cause you got hurt at pick up/shinny hockey?

#39 maverick72

maverick72

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Like i said everyone plays fully equiped.... going to a hockey game without the proper equipment is something i cannot understand..... there is blades all over the place plus carbon fiber sticks... You take the risk you are willing to take i guess.   I have to wake up the next morning and go to work also.  I'm self employed so if i lose a day's work it comes directly out of my pocket... But still I wouldn't dare to propose a no slapshot game.  That would take the rythmm off.  At least for me.

I love hockey and i love the fact that i'm able at 42 to still play at a competitive level.  When my body can't follow i'll think of something else to do but like i said in my first post we have guys 50+ and 1 guy 60+ and the 50's still go hard!  And we are not even a real beer league team!!!   We are a bunch of players that have ALOT of ice time ( 2x 1h30 practices and 1 full 3x20 stop time game ) that ask other teams all over France to come and play us (or we go to them).  No ranking, no stats just exibition games.  And we participate in tournements ... France, Germany, Czech republic and this year Italy.  For a player like me that never made a good level of hockey (C and D at "les quatres glaces" Montreal frenchies know) it's like a dream come true.

If i wanted a safe sport i would jog (but i hate that) and even that you can get foot injuries or torn knee or what not.   Darts maybe.

I mean no disrespect.  It's just something i can't get used to.  Oh i would obey the rules if i had to but i will always prefer the game with hard shots over a passing game.

I play D right now cause like i said some can't even skate backwards ... and i can't believe a D would score on a blue line wrister.  I would be super unhappy :D

#40 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

No disrespect taken, it's just a debate. :) everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

In my opinion I'd rather see a nice pass and play instead of a bunch of people wiring slapshots cause I believe there's so much more skill and chemistry involved to make a nice play.

But pretend your friend is playing on the other them, you wire a shot and take out some of his teeth or break his ankle. Was that micro second attempt for a goal for even a little bit of satisfaction that you would get? Was it really worth the 3k of dental work or weeks you just put him out because of a broken bone or injury?

Goals in pick up shinny don't really mean anything. You're there to practice your hands and shooting when people aren't directly in your way. In a game I understand that everything goes as long as it's within the league rules.