Photo

Proper Shinny Etiquette: 101

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#1 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Played a little open hockey this afternoon and was involved in an incident that got me thinking about what exactly is "proper shinny etiquette". I have a good idea what constitutes as acceptable and unacceptable behavior, but I want to see what some of you think. This may get interesting.

Okay. Let's go.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#2 DatsyukZherdev

DatsyukZherdev
  • LocationLetterkenny, Ontario

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

The first time I ever went all my friend said was pass and don't be a douche bag and I carried it with my the rest of my life so far hahahhaa 

#3 UnrealFlow

UnrealFlow
  • LocationKingston ON

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Pass I agree with, but nothing worse than the guy who always expects the pass too. 

#4 DatsyukZherdev

DatsyukZherdev
  • LocationLetterkenny, Ontario

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Pass I agree with, but nothing worse than the guy who always expects the pass too. 

+1

#5 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Proper

-Move the puck

-Don't take 15 minute shifts, everyone wants to play

-Not taking snapshots, no one wants to get hurt

-Sharing pucks if someone forgot theirs

-Passing to the newbie who is learning to play hockey

-Friendly chatter on the bench

InProper

-Hog the puck

-Taking 15 minute shifts

-Taking slapshots, no one wants to get hurt

-Losing/leaving with other peoples pucks they lent you if you didn't bring your own

-Drinking everyone's water because you didn't bring your own

-Only passing to your 2 buddies you came with

-Hitting

-Dangling the newbie

-Paul Bunyan-ing twigs

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#6 Tapiolaboy13

Tapiolaboy13

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Bring a black and a white jersey. Nothing more irritating than a circus of colors running around.

#7 Liddy019

Liddy019

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

^totally agree!!!! GREY F'n Jerseys drive me nuts!!!!
Liddy:-)

#8 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Grey and yellow are two of the worst colors to wear.

I'm guilty of wearing red and navy though, but that's ok cause it just gets classified as dark

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#9 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Lot of good ones there ^

- Keep your shots low. There's guys without cages and we don't care that you can roof it on the goalie in street hockey pads. This goes for passes too, 10 foot high sauce is just plain useless.

- Keep your stick down. Pretty much same reasons as above.

- In the locker room, don't go lobbying around for tape. Bring your own damn tape like everyone else.

- Always have a light or dark colored jersey. None of this light grey/dark grey crap. Lets leave the red and yellow jerseys at home, your half-assed dangles already make you stand out enough.

- If you find yourself in a 1 on 1 situation with a much lesser-skilled player, offensively or defensively, take it easy on the guy! Let him have a chance to get a shot off or make a defensive stop. Nothing is more discouraging than getting burned or decked every time you try to make a play.

- Last but not least, quit going so damn hard! This isn't the NHL or your tryout for the NHL. There are no scouts in the stands and any women that happen to be there aren't puckies, as much as you want them to be. Take it easy in the corners because I, and potentially others, aren't wearing shoulder pads and I'd prefer not to go to work in the morning with a broken collar bone or spinal fracture.

That's all I have for now, but there's plenty more I can't think of right now.

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#10 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

If you are playing with people you know and trust then you can play as hard as you want, because it is upping the level of camaraderie, making it a fun/skilled game. It is a mutual "go-hard" atmosphere.

If you are playing with people whom you do not know, then it is not okay to play as aggressive with them as you would with your friends. That will most likely lead to you getting your ass beat.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#11 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

My main 2,

1} Feed the newer and/or weaker players as much as you can. I myself get more satisfaction knowing that these guys/gals are having the time of their lives learning how to play the game {no matter the age}, and to see them make a good play {pass,shot, or whatever} is rewarding for everyone IMO.

2} Good camaraderie at all times, get along !!, Nobody wants to see some SOB with an attitude out there, and to add to that, there's nothing worse than one of the legit players out there being a dick towards others, may it be by constantly showing off their "skills" or taking the shinny too seriously and forgetting the main reason why we are all out there............exercise and fun !!!!

#12 Buster_D

Buster_D
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Bring a black and a white jersey. Nothing more irritating than a circus of colors running around.

This!!!!!!
Pavel Datsyuk Gear or any wings gear!

Feedback- http://www.sports2k..../8903-buster-d/

#13 MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup
  • LocationSt. Albert, AB, Canada

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Do NOT cherry pick. EVER. Do not be that guy. There is one guy here at the local shinny, and this is all he does. 

Do not stop up often. Keep moving the puck forward. There's nothing more frustrating than a guy turing back from the neutral zone to his D zone because he does not have a for sure pass. 

Do not do the old "HEY! HERE! DROP! BOARDS!" trying to to 'trick' the opposing player into giving you the puck accidentally. 

Do not be a hypocrite. 

These are all a given.. But there's seriously one guy out here that exemplifies all these negative qualities on a nightly basis. So frustrating.  

EDIT: Being a goalie, I sometimes hit the ice in the pads but less frequently these days as it is just frustrating. 

Do not take slapshots, ever. Not even half clappers. 

Watch the darn follow throughs near the crease. I cannot stress that enough. It does not matter how bad of a hockey player you are, if you cannot control your stick, you should not be out there. 

On a 3 on 0 or 4 on 0, do not pass the puck ten times cross crease and slam it in the open cage. One pass, shot. Nothing more frustrating than that, it does not make us tendy's want to show up to shinny as a goalie. 

Looking for the following..

Any Mathieu Perreault Gear

Size Small Navy 9k Shells

Any Smaller Jets/Moose Gear

13" Navy Base Gloves

#14 rover

rover
  • LocationNy

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

How about skating and playing the full ice?  Played with some punk D bag that goal hanged at the far blue line then got pissed when he stopped getting passes. To make it worse he was wearing a hoodiie with full equipment and had his ipod in his pocket with earphones in his ears.

Nothing worse than skilled players picking on the lesser skilled guys.  They're the same that come out and go in to deke the goalie as he just gets in the net to take a warmup.

Might add the guys who play with completely ripped pants. Some have the inline hockey full pants that look like they've been to war or the other guy who has Cooper pants from the Red Army with pads that fall out when he skates.

#15 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

^totally agree!!!! GREY F'n Jerseys drive me nuts!!!!

and as Maple Leafs says , yellow as well.

Go away hahahaha

#16 Harv

Harv
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Wearing &*@!ing gear.

Nothing worse than the two kids who show up in a sweatpants and sweatshirts and expect to play a fast paced game.

WTB: Blackhawk Hossa Franchises

#17 bretwilhite

bretwilhite
  • LocationPHL

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

To make it worse he was wearing a hoodiie with full equipment and had his ipod in his pocket with earphones in ...

Need a visual of this.

#18 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Wearing &*@!ing gear.

Nothing worse than the two kids who show up in a sweatpants and sweatshirts and expect to play a fast paced game.

Kid showed up like that last night. Rink staff almost had to call the police because he was causing such a scene when they told him to get off.

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#19 greghughes

greghughes
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

Guys that are cherry picking the whole time.  I am guilty of the occasional cherry pick, but only if i was down low when the puck went the other way and am cruising back behind everyone when we get the puck. If you never come back across the red line or sprint for a breakaway every time we get the puck i'm gonna stop making the pass.

Another big one that bothers me is when the try-hard's backcheck full speed and take the puck away from a player who is obviously just learning how to play.  Couple local guys will go just as hard at the mother of three learning how to play as they will at me, such a pet peeve of mine. 

And also the jersey stuff

Looking for retro Ducks set!

#20 spudrock512

spudrock512
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

This is my first year playing, and to be honest, It really pisses me off if people take it too easy on me...I want to get better. Not playing defense, and not trying to steal the puck from me is not going to help me. I know it is probably a fine line to not go all out, but still be competitive. Of course, the talent level where I'm from is probably quite a bit lower than what a lot if you guys play too.