Photo

NHLers must have small feet or I am just weird

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeyinmyblood

Hockeyinmyblood

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hey,

Any other big foot person notice that NHLers have size 8 feet in skates so like size 9 shoe... I feel like that is tinny.. My foot is size 13 I'm 6'4" 200lbs this is a pretty common build for nhlers well the 6'4" 200lbs... But, yeah I don't really know where this post is going but thought it would be interesting to get some comments on this haha. Do NHLers just have small feet or do I just have extremely big feet?

Cheers,
Matt
Canada
MN

#2 wrbush31

wrbush31

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

I don't know, I think it depends. I wear an 11 shoe and a size 8D skate in Bauer. I think there are "unknown" factors that have to be considered.

#3 Diesel8810

Diesel8810
  • LocationHockessin, Delaware

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

^Agreed.. I have been a 10.5-11 shoe and have worn a Bauer 8.5 for 20 years now.. With the new sizing of my APX (and more so with the TO line) I may even go down another half next time... Now I do skate without socks and do like my skates a bit tight but still I tried a pair of 9's out of curiosity a few years back and they felt huge...

Always looking for Pro Stock P91a RH 87ish Flex Grip Bauer Sticks.

#4 Hockeyinmyblood

Hockeyinmyblood

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Really I have about 6 pairs of skates... Graphs, CCM, Bauer, RBK, Eastons x2 and I can never fit in any skate lower then an 11.5... I have really narrow feet I don't know if that has anything to do with the length factor..
Canada
MN

#5 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I fit very well into Anton Volvhenkov's skates, which are 10.5 EE and I'm "only" 5' 10"
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#6 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

i'm6 foot 200lbs and wear a 7,5d apx. and a 10.5 shoe

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#7 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Im 6' 195 and wear a 12 shoe and never could get into anything smaller than a 10.5. I tried a pair of X:60s in a size 10 and had to take them off after about 10 minutes of skating.

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#8 Yetso

Yetso
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I'm 6'4" 300lbs, wear a size 13 running shoe, 14 street, and can't squeeze into anything smaller than a 12 skate, 11.5s are close, but they cram my pinky toe too much.
Phrasing people! Phrasing!!!

#9 Hockeyinmyblood

Hockeyinmyblood

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

yeah I don't understand how people can fit there foot into skates 2-3 sizes smaller then there feet? like do you not like blood to them? I don't get it... Weird stuff...
Canada
MN

#10 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

NHLers try and squeeze into the tightest possible size so that they don't lose any of their stride from their feet sliding back and forth even the slighest bit.

#11 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

In my eyes from what i've seen is it might be that "foot binding" effect like Chinese women do on purpose. Skate boots are tight, claustrophobic and if you're in skate boots since childhood your feet will stay smaller than most. and you wont have super fat wide feet like those of us who didnt start at age 4

i'm 6'2 and wear 10.5 skate 12 shoe but i saw a couple of players taller than me with a 9 and 8.5 Crazy

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#12 Diesel8810

Diesel8810
  • LocationHockessin, Delaware

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

I can't see height and weight having anything to do with it... To me a foot size length and width is what it is... For the record I am 6' 225lbs size 10.5-11 shoe and 8.5 Bauer.... Second shoe sizes do not directly correlate to skate sizes and their are slight variences between brands.... I have played for some 26 years now, coached, taught and even worked in a pro shop for several years when I was younger...That being said I have never seen a player wear the same show size as skate size.. Ever... (save for some of the NikeBauer models that did indeed have a shoe size listed).... Skates should be snug for performance and shoes are made to be breathable and comfortable for wearing..

I always thought the rule of thumb (full grown adult) was to have your toes just touch the inside of the toe cap when you put your foot in so when your heal is kicked and the skates are tall tied up you should have just a bit of room in the toe.... Usually 1-2 sizes smaller than a shoe size.. For kids have them slide their feet forward until their toes touch and select a size that allows a finger in the heal of the skate to accommodate a little growth.. Any smaller and they will barely get a season out of them any larger and they will be too big to be adequately functional and possibly unsafe...

Now for the Pro's Skates this all flies out the window.. Reason being is that Pros skates are made to a ridiculous tolerance that as you all have seen include 1/4 sizes and different heal / toe width combinations.. Now it stands to reason that if the guys making the big bucks have their skates custom fitted to fit their feet precisely at tight to each individual foot... Thats the best recipe for performance, fit and function...

So when you see the majority of Pro Stock skates in sizes 8-10 that directly corresponds to the average common shoe sizes of athletes that are 5'10-6'4" (shoe sizes 10-12) and the common 1.5 to 2 size drop between shoe and skate sizes... Now of course you will see the extremes in both directions but those are just that extremes.. and of course some players like their skates slightly tighter and some with a tiny bit of room..

That's just my .98 cents... Lol... Just thought I could shed some more light on the subject..

Always looking for Pro Stock P91a RH 87ish Flex Grip Bauer Sticks.

#13 1stOverall

1stOverall

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

I wear a 9.5 or 10 shoe but had wear size 7 bauer skates. Most guys in the show like a tight fit

#14 SSG_Beantown33

SSG_Beantown33
  • LocationGrafton, MA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

I have size 10D 11k's (which are a 1/2 size to big) so when trying on APXs I went down to a 9.5D and they felt even bigger than my RBKs did no me

So I am now in a 9 APX comfortably but snug with a 11.5 street shoe size

*Side note- as I tried on TO's I was touching in a 9.5D lol so confusing

#15 - M

- M

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

I'm wearing Daniel Sedin's Total ONEs right now. He's a 7.5D, tiny for a guy who's listed at 6' 1"

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#16 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

when i size myself on a bauer skate sizer thing it clearly says that i'm 7.5 so i just dont argue with that

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#17 niXon

niXon

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

I'm 6'5 280, wear a size 12-13 in shoes and a 9EE in my Bauers. ;)

#18 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

6'2 225 Shoe size 12 skate size 9.5D 10D depending on brand

#19 like2pic

like2pic

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

I gotta bring this thread back to life... I normally go a size and a half down from my shoe size for Bauer. I might try to go down two sizes to see how it feels. I understand

that it's a personal preference, but I'd love to hear from some other members...

#20 Buster_D

Buster_D
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

I wear a 12 shoe and wear 9d bauer apx's.
Pavel Datsyuk Gear or any wings gear!

Feedback- http://www.sports2k..../8903-buster-d/