• LocationMontco, PA

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

Great info in here, thanks guys.

Max steez.

I know a lot more than you about collecting bud, so save the shit

#22 cthockey

cthockey

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

Truth be told is that Bauers steel is absolute shit. To say that any of their steel comes with a "TRUE" 10ft or 11ft radius is a lie. Their steel is mass produced with no consistency at all.
We recommend that all new steel have a custom radius applied no matter what the packages say. I have never had a set of LS4 steel match up truly to a custom 10ft radius. All steel had to be ground to obtain a true 10ft radius.

We still use a standard 1/2" radius on all skates we sharpen unless another is requested but have found a large trend of customers moving towards 5/8th. I think with the strength and speed of skaters today they no longer need that deep hollow digging into the ice. 

As far as what radius we commonly use I'd say the standard 10' or 11' are popular but we definitely use more of the Pro Sharp Zuperior M and Quad Zero which are triple and quadruple radius. These radius maximize each section of the blade used for starting, stopping, turning, and stability compared to a standard radius which has basically one point of contact. 

#23 - M

- M

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:52 AM

Ive tried the electrical tape since when it was new and I feel like its made it more inaccurate, I can make it look off 2 lines to the left, right or look exactly even.  I was having to measure each spot 6 times to get an average.  It was so frustrating.  Ive been using the finger pressure for the past couple years

Try adding more layers of electrical tape.  I use 1 strip length-wise and 2 strips width-wise stacked on top of each other and I change it every week.  I ran into issues before when I was using a single layer of sock tape.  Otherwise try using a small piece of a fridge magnet like I did for the scoured angle.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#24 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:46 AM

LS4 Steel
Quad Zero Profile
3/4" hollow

From what I've been told flat bottom V kills your steel. It doesnt hold the sharpening as long and if you want to sharpen it correctly, you need to cross grind it each time.

#25 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

What does quad zero profile mean?

#26 - M

- M

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

LS4 Steel
Quad Zero Profile
3/4" hollow

From what I've been told flat bottom V kills your steel. It doesnt hold the sharpening as long and if you want to sharpen it correctly, you need to cross grind it each time.

Cross grinding each time will kill your steel.  It's a very outdated method of sharpening and is not necessary.  I cringe every time I see someone do cross grind + witness marks; or worse yet, witness marks on a blade with a hollow in it already.

Your experience with FBV not retaining its sharpening as long is likely due to the operator not replacing a worn out spinner.  Most are reluctant to do so because of how expensive it is compared to single point diamond dressers.

#27 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:48 AM

Beer leaguers with crazy profiles always blows my mind.

#28 Hokie

Hokie
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Some guys just gotta have that... edge

#29 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

More or less egregious than pre game biosteel? Lol

IG: Fooj Media

#30 andy99

andy99
  • LocationB.C Canada

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

Truth be told is that Bauers steel is absolute shit. To say that any of their steel comes with a "TRUE" 10ft or 11ft radius is a lie. Their steel is mass produced with no consistency at all.
We recommend that all new steel have a custom radius applied no matter what the packages say. I have never had a set of LS4 steel match up truly to a custom 10ft radius. All steel had to be ground to obtain a true 10ft radius.

We still use a standard 1/2" radius on all skates we sharpen unless another is requested but have found a large trend of customers moving towards 5/8th. I think with the strength and speed of skaters today they no longer need that deep hollow digging into the ice. 

As far as what radius we commonly use I'd say the standard 10' or 11' are popular but we definitely use more of the Pro Sharp Zuperior M and Quad Zero which are triple and quadruple radius. These radius maximize each section of the blade used for starting, stopping, turning, and stability compared to a standard radius which has basically one point of contact. 

I agree. I put in new LS4 in edge holder  and was told stock 10'. Felt out of whack right away, took them back and 1 was close to 10' the other was not even close, felt great after the profile, for the poll question I am 9/16ths

#31 firefighter55

firefighter55
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

Finally skated today. I really like the 3/4" cut. Felt like I had more speed and my acceleration really wasn't affected. But I really like it on my lower radius steeel. More comfortable I felt on my skates in a while.
Looking for:
Blackhawks Hawks HGTK 14” Gloves

#32 - M

- M

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

Wait until you see some golfers with their custom fitted clubs...

#33 cthockey

cthockey

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

What does quad zero profile mean?

Quad zero is a profile option through the Prosharp system.
This bar has 4 separate radius used through the length of the blade. I believe it's a 6-9-12-14 system. 6 up front for quick starts, 9 next for turning and strides, 12 for speed, 14 in the rear for overall balance.
Might seem like a lot but once you try it it's hard to switch back. I started in the Zup M and moved up to the Quad Zero.

#34 firefighter55

firefighter55
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

I used work in the golf industry. You think hockey players are picky, golf is a whole different story. It's always the arrow not the Indian in lots of golfers minds.

When it comes to this thread I was just trying to get some feedback on how guys are getting there skates sharpened and what kind of radius/rocker guys are using.

Looking for:
Blackhawks Hawks HGTK 14” Gloves

#35 Gregp7924

Gregp7924

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:04 AM

Minor forward , 9.5/10.5 radius ,11/16 . I play D like to be on my toes and yea i agree i get bauer ls3 radius done before i use them . Just waiting for step edge in states ...zzzzz :(

#36 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

LS4 Steel
Quad Zero Profile
3/4" hollow

FBV has always held sharpening longer than a traditiional sharpen for me. been using fbv for ever. 

never heard you have to crossgrind each time. 

Also to comment on bauer steel, it does suck. using step steel black and it blows LS4 out of the water. 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#37 Ps12

Ps12

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

Can anyone recommend a place where I can get a z channel sharpening with the quad zero?

#38 jordanm

jordanm
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

Can anyone recommend a place where I can get a z channel sharpening with the quad zero?

Noicing sports can help you with that. Noicingsports.com

MIC Franchise gloves for sale? PM me!
@myfriendmonty

https://www.instagra...m/jordanmoffat/

#39 Ps12

Ps12

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

Whoops. Other than noicing right now. I usually go to noicing for my z channel sharpening. They are currently unable to do z sharpenings at this time.

#40 Joron

Joron

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

Can the quad zero profile be done at most pro shop?!
Thanks