Photo

Post COVID-19 hockey?

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#241 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 26 March 2021 - 01:06 PM

I still haven't played ice since March 2020, but played my first organized inline game this week. Always forget how fast past and long the shifts/games are in roller! I was friggin gassed

Dude, I played outdoor roller pickup from last may through the summer, and then when I played my first indoor game I was wrecked after like 2 shifts. Took me about 3 games to get my stamina back. Would have taken longer, but my team only had 5 skaters lol

#242 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:10 PM

Adult pickup in Northern California has JUST started back up this week. It's been 13 months since I've been on the ice and much longer since I've played in a game. The pickups are 5x a week and booked for a week, but I'll finally be able to skate in April. Let's hope it stays open for once. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#243 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 26 March 2021 - 03:35 PM

Dude, I played outdoor roller pickup from last may through the summer, and then when I played my first indoor game I was wrecked after like 2 shifts. Took me about 3 games to get my stamina back. Would have taken longer, but my team only had 5 skaters lol

We were playing 4 on 4 with 2 or 3 extra per side. I don’t play roller much so I do a few sprints up and down the rink, am out there for 2-3 minutes, then go change it up. One dude on my team said to me, ‘man, you’re the only guys that takes shifts’. I feel like a hog if I’m out there for more than 3 minutes and obviously don’t have the stamina to stay out there for 10!! Played for an hour and a half and my lungs were still feeling it the next day

#244 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:06 PM

We were playing 4 on 4 with 2 or 3 extra per side. I don’t play roller much so I do a few sprints up and down the rink, am out there for 2-3 minutes, then go change it up. One dude on my team said to me, ‘man, you’re the only guys that takes shifts’. I feel like a hog if I’m out there for more than 3 minutes and obviously don’t have the stamina to stay out there for 10!! Played for an hour and a half and my lungs were still feeling it the next day

Definitely takes a while to get the lungs back. About 4 months later though, I play 3 50 minute games a night two or three night a week and I'm usually the only true D man so I play most of the game and I'm fine now.

#245 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:36 PM

Definitely takes a while to get the lungs back. About 4 months later though, I play 3 50 minute games a night two or three night a week and I'm usually the only true D man so I play most of the game and I'm fine now.

I’ll hope that’s the case. I’m used to playing 10 minute roller games, but these guys were basically playing pickup for 3 straight hours!

#246 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:54 AM

Not sure if statewide in MA but at our rink, New England Sports Center they have now opened Locker rooms and showers. Capacity 10 per locker room and supposed to be 1 player at a time showering. Still masks at all times but getting there. Will see how this goes, hopefully well

#247 nhlfan79

nhlfan79
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:05 PM

Fully vaxxed since February and played my first game last night, since I had to wait for the new season to start.  I was the only one wearing any kind of mask in-game (Bauer Return to Play), but it's what I wanted for my own comfort level, as we live in an area with widespread vaccine refusal/hesitancy and general COVID skepticism and I have a second, younger child still not yet eligible for vaccination.  It was my first time on skates in 14 months, so there was a lot of rust, both literally and figuratively.  Overall, it felt good to be back, but I'll probably/hopefully feel more comfortable with the state of things by the summer.

#248 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:32 AM

Glad you were able to get back on the ice. Looking forward to the day ill be able to say the same!

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#249 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:37 AM

After 14 months, I was finally able to get back on the ice last night! It was the strangest feeling packing my bag and thinking I forgot something. As is typical with adult ice, game time wasn't until late late, but we had it for two hours so it was worth it. Definitely a bit wobbly skating to the bench, but I think the combination of frozen lake skating over the winter and Marsblade for roller helped ease that transition a bit.

Entry was wearing a mask and getting a temperature check, so simple enough. Lockers rooms and showers were open which was plus. No masks required on the ice. I am fully vaxxed as of last month as were the guys I spoke to so there was a surprisingly high level of comfort (for me).

Apparently there's been pickup once or twice a week for about 3 months now. I knew about games at two rinks about an hour from me, but wasn't willing to drive that far. Now that I'm on 'the list', hopefully I'll be able to get out at least once a week

#250 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:35 PM

Have been doing pickups for a couple of months now and now all of the mens leagues have opened up. Feels wonderful to be somewhat free again. Mostly all of our guys are fully vaccinated or have atleast had 1 shot. Mass is opening up more and more things each week. Fingers crossed!!

#251 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:56 AM

Masks no longer mandatory when fully vaccinnated in the US? Will this have an impact at your local rink?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#252 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:09 AM

Not mandatory outside but as of now still inside. Not so much on the ice but before and after. See how the Summer progresses as now 12 to 15 year Olds can get Pfizer

#253 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:13 AM

Nothing has changed here in Michigan. There's really no functional way to know who's vaccinated and who's not and there's still a lot of 'cowboys' who don't believe in COVID. So, I don't mind still wearing them, I guess.

It'd just be nice if we didn't have to wear them on the ice and for the rinks to open the damn shower rooms up.

That said, we've been back on the ice for months now, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

#254 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:07 AM

Captains reaching out letting us know leagues are officially about to begin again here in Los Angeles. So that’s a plus. I agree there are still anti maskers and vaxxers so I don’t have a problem continuing to wear a mask indoors or as needed

#255 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:51 PM

In Arizona none of the rinks require masks during play, some have signs about wearing them but nobody really enforces it. Most guys don't wear masks really. Our vaxx numbers are pretty high here. Thankfully haven't been any outbreaks linked to hockey rinks in the area

#256 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:33 PM

Nothing has changed here in Michigan. There's really no functional way to know who's vaccinated and who's not and there's still a lot of 'cowboys' who don't believe in COVID. So, I don't mind still wearing them, I guess.

It'd just be nice if we didn't have to wear them on the ice and for the rinks to open the damn shower rooms up.

That said, we've been back on the ice for months now, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Where are you at in Michigan? We haven't had to wear masks at all on the ice, and showers have been open the whole time. Just interested to see what different locations are doing.

#257 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:47 AM

Where are you at in Michigan? We haven't had to wear masks at all on the ice, and showers have been open the whole time. Just interested to see what different locations are doing.

Ann Arbor, so that prolly plays a big part in it. Shortly after I wrote this, they did away with the masks on the ice rule. Still no showers, for now, but guys are bringing in pliers to use the showers with the handles removed.

I skated in Chelsea over the weekend and they had a pretty mask free rink experience, so I guess I shouldn't let Ann Arbor = Michigan in my mind.

#258 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:27 AM

Both rinks I skate at mask mandate completely lifted. Statewide mandate has been lifted and open 100% capacity. Will see how it goes still a decent amount wearing them. Maybe those not yet vaccinated.

#259 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 02 June 2021 - 05:18 AM

Seems like my summer league may start up first week of July. Fingers crossed.

#260 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 28 June 2021 - 05:02 AM

My summer league will resume next week.
Hopefully, we have enough guys to play!