Photo

Tacki mac users

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

bought my first tacki mac to see what this hype is all about, 9 bucks with tax in toronto, i think it's more in canada than US for sure.

anyways just wondering what you guys do with the butt end of the stick, do you insert a wooden plug, leave the original plug, no plug? i've see some pros just leave it hollow on the end, but wouldn't that eventually dig into your gloves. Not like they would care cause all their stuff is free, but for us non-pros what's a nice way to finish it off.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#2 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Also, if I break my stick and remove my tacki Mac to use on another stick, what an I use for adhesive because u don't get another strip of that sticky sheet.

#3 Huskie94

Huskie94
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

I just put it over everything. Usually the tack mac is too long so I cut it down.

I've heard of people using hairspray for an adhesive.

#4 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

Are you talking about the end plug? If so, yeah what do people do about it? My end plug kept coming out, so I ended up just putting some tape over the top. Really annoying to have and looks yucky :P.

Edit: should add that I have tried using glue to keep it in. Maybe I need to not use kids glue or something.

For Sale:

#5 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

Throw some glue on the end cap and put it in. As for reusing the Taki Mac, just spray some hairspray on it and let it dry over night.

#6 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

i use dial hand soap and dries in 24-48 hours, and it'll never move again

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#7 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

i use dial hand soap and dries in 24-48 hours, and it'll never move again

Elaborate?

For Sale:

#8 Lunchbox4

Lunchbox4
  • LocationSt. John's, Newfoundland

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

I used hairspray on mine..  so far so good! Also, i bought my tacki-mac's from stickfixtexas on ebay..  cheaper than local for me here in St. John's and has a way better selection..  I've never heard of the sand grip until i read about it on here....   Glad i tried it out. 

#9 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

For the end plug I put tape around the bottom and put it back. Never comes back out unless u want it to.

Also I use the sand grip tacki. And cut the butt end off. Works great. But after a whole I get tried of it and go back to tape. I switch a lot wit stick tape jobs. I dont know y. And get them off eBay. They r cheaper then 9$
ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY TEAM USA AND FLYERS GEAR..AND ANYTHING ELSE RARE

#10 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Elaborate, Please?

Since you asked so nicely, SURE.

Its like using a non lubricated condom, add lube, slip it on.  Set it and forget it.

I use Dial pump action hand soap, squeeze a few shots into the tacki mac and squeeze the tacki mac to spread the soap around it inside and coat it, take the tacki mac and slip it onto the stick (YEAAAAH SLIP IT TO EM)

and squeeze the last remaining soap and let it dry in the next day or so or you;ll lose your stick on your next shot

#11 MountainKing

MountainKing

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

I've recycled mine a few times but their pretty cheap on ebay (like mentioned) so if I have a new stick I'll generally just pony up the cash.  As far as putting it back on, the hairspray route works, double sided tape & some mineral spirits works or as a golfer I have grip tape around that works great as well.  

#12 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

i feel ya, i've recycled two for like four years until recently.

#13 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

Used it for the first time tonight, and I will have to say that's it's pretty decent. I was afraid of it being too tacky. They say it gets tackier when wet, but my hands never seem to sweat in my gloves. I think I have magical hands.

#14 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

I go with no end plug and it hasn't ruined any of my palms. I just made sure it was like a couple millimeters above the end of the shaft. Hairspray works like a champ and is way easier than the glue sheet they give you. I was a former bike mechanic and all we ever used to put grips on bars was hairspray and they never move. When you want it off just an air blow gun tool attached to an air compressor and it will fly right off with no effort.

Looking for new CCM HPTK pants - Black - Size XL

#15 Lunchbox4

Lunchbox4
  • LocationSt. John's, Newfoundland

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

I go with no end plug and it hasn't ruined any of my palms. I just made sure it was like a couple millimeters above the end of the shaft. Hairspray works like a champ and is way easier than the glue sheet they give you. I was a former bike mechanic and all we ever used to put grips on bars was hairspray and they never move. When you want it off just an air blow gun tool attached to an air compressor and it will fly right off with no effort.

Its funny you say that...  i changed out the handle bars on my motorcycle but wanted to use the same grips... I used that technique with the air compressor and it couldn't have been easier to take the grips off. Someone at work told me to try it and worked like a charm. I'll have to do the same thing for changing tacki mac's.. 

#16 Too Old

Too Old
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Ditto the grip trick (air gun to remove/hairspray to hold in place); I do all my own bicycle building and maintenance as well. And interestingly enough I'm the service manager at a H-D/Yamaha dealership. The only thing I question is no end plug in your stick. Dangerous situation IMO.

PS, if you have carbon fiber sticks then why not carbon fiber bikes?   :D   My mountain and road bikes ('05 NRS C1 and '06 TCR Advanced) both of which I built up from bare frames:

nrsandtcr_zpsaaf5b9d0.jpg

#17 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I have more of a freeride rig, so I trust the aluminum a bit more for that.  Especially when I yard-sale in a rock garden haha.

#18 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Oh also, why do you consider no end plug dangerous?  Are you talking about getting speared or something?

#19 Too Old

Too Old
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yes, exactly. It can cause a pretty nasty injury. USA Hockey rules require it to be covered. As to biking, around here it's mainly wooded singletrack and some sandy conditions where there are trails along the river. Not much rocky terrain.

Rule 301(a) & (b) in the USA Hockey Playing Rules state,

“(a) Adhesive tape of any color may be wrapped around the stick at any place for the purpose of reinforcement or to improve control of the puck.

(b) The end of a hollow shaft must be fully covered.”

The end of a hollow shaft may be covered with tape, a wooden plug, or some similar device.

#20 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Makes sense. I tried using some plugs I had laying around but they didn't fit. Gonna have to whittle them down I suppose before I jump back into a league.