Photo

Golf Season

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 sharks25

sharks25
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Well, I am a single digit hc. Im at an 8, and it should go down due to my game improving a bit. Distance is only important if the player makes it count. I play with a player that is a club shorter than me, but everything within 150 yards is stuck pretty close. In comparison, I play with a guy that is one or two clubs longer than me, and he sprays his wedges around a bit. Im pretty confident that anything within a pw for me will be within 15 feet.
But, the further from the green the worse my play gets. I have never hit a driver good, plain and simple. I don't know where its going most of the time. My new driver is making my driving much better, and I'm hitting it long and in the fairway more often. That will hopefully help me drop my hc even more.

And the score doesn't really explain much, as when I shot my first 79 I was playing from tees around 6600 yards, and a 135 slope. Because of this, the 79 is worth a lot more while judging hc. I don't go low very often, as I don't make that many birdies, but I don't many high scores, so my scores hover around 81 or 82.

Backspin comes from swing speed, contact, and AoA, not whatever score you post.

#62 steedorf

steedorf

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

I know what it is created by, I'm just saying when you're saying you're putting up 82s and you have "a few feet" of backspin those 2 don't add up.

#63 sharks25

sharks25
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

You said "I think the last thing people should care about is the distance each individual club goes" but then you judge a person by how much backspin they put on a ball. That logic makes no sense. Does it really matter how far I can back up a wedge?
May I ask, what do you usually shoot?

#64 ctclippers41

ctclippers41

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

I don't see how backspin directly correlates to score. I can backapin the ball with any of my vokeys but I still shoot low 80s. Even though someone may have a tool in the tool box doesn't mean they always use it in their favors. It sounds like sharks (along with myself) can shave off some strokes by hitting the putting green.

#65 steedorf

steedorf

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

That's what I was asking. If lengthy isnt an issue, and you have the control on the greens with your scoring clubs, where are you going wrong?

And near the end of last season I was on my way to being a scratch golfer, handicap is about a 5 now.

#66 ctclippers41

ctclippers41

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

I think, at least for me, there's a difference between having control and having backspin. I still have to feel out that fine line between stopping it on a dime or making it come back, especially on some more of the angled greens.
Any of you guys go the "pro stock" route of golf and get some tour issue stuff? I've seen some sweet stuff on Ebay but never pulled the trigger.

#67 steedorf

steedorf

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Don't do it. There is a huge difference between pro golfers on tour and amateurs. It's not like pro stock gear, tour issue gear will make you worse most of the time. Plus it's so expensive!

#68 sharks25

sharks25
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

I have been playing 5 years, and for 2 of those years i never carried driver. Playing 7100 yard courses while never treeing off with driver never gave me opportunities to hit wedges into greens. That's why my scores are what they are, I pretty much never hit driver, even now.

#69 steedorf

steedorf

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

So you can hit it long but your long game isn't precise? Slice with a driver or what? Can you hit a 3 wood if so buy a RBZ 3 wood. Most sold item in our shop. I added 35 yards with my 3 wood when I switched and its straight down the pipe. It's rare I need to bring out the driver now unless I need more carry.

#70 wahsnairb

wahsnairb
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

R11 driver, Mizuno MP001 (I think haha) 3wood, Mizuno MP33 blades 3-P, Titleist Oil Can wedges, SeeMore custom mallet putter, and a Titleist 975J I just can't take out of my bag.

I am usually a 2-4 and shoot in the 68-76 range depending on the day.
Have worked at golf courses most of my life.

#71 sharks25

sharks25
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I don't really have one miss with it. I hit it left and right if I'm having a bad day. Today i hit it pretty good. We played in a light rain at Poppy Hills. It was playing sooooo much longer than the scorecard said due to the moisture. No roll out at all. I had an 80, with a lip out on my bridie putt on the last. It was my third consecutive round with no Birdies :(
I'm happy with my score though, with the weather and the slope rating being so high. It was tough out there.