Photo

Altered Gear

• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

#541 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

Why not go full fishbowl then?  You could still take a puck or stick to the teeth with that thing.  

#542 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

You are way more likely to hurt yourself (not to mention others) rocking that monstrosity than you are to protect yourself. Just wear a cage man, don't endanger other people.

#543 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

Usually people wear that crap when they're injured not when they're trying to prevent injury.

#544 KomarovSoshnikovMarner

KomarovSoshnikovMarner

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

When I see an NHL playing one of them, I doubt it would stop impact to the jaw as you've weakened the fishbowls structure. I wear a full one and love it, a huge upgrade on a cage. The clarity of a visor and the safety of a cage. 

#545 firefighter55

firefighter55
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

Wow I'm surprised I got so much negative feedback. It's actually lighter than a fish bowel which I also have. I found a beat up old ITECH that was scratched and I figured I'd make it into this and give it w try. I'm not sure how this would injury someone else? I've seen NHLers where these. Actually a guy who is a former nhler I play rat with once in a while wears his all the time.
Looking for:
Blackhawks Hawks HGTK 14” Gloves

#546 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Ever wonder why they are illegal to wear in the NHL unless you have a serious injury?

Because they can cause serious injury.

#547 bretwilhite

bretwilhite
  • LocationPHL

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

lighter than a fishbowl? And that's a serious factor?

#548 firefighter55

firefighter55
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

A serious injury to others or the person wearing it? I'm just don't want to get a stick in the mouth and loose teeth when I need to go to my normal job the next day. I don't want thousands in dental bills. If it's lighter and I can see better than the fish bowl or cage and I'm protected I'm fine with that. Hell I haven't even tried it out yet. But still dont understand how it can hurt others?
Looking for:
Blackhawks Hawks HGTK 14” Gloves

#549 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:09 AM

When I see an NHL playing one of them, I doubt it would stop impact to the jaw as you've weakened the fishbowls structure. I wear a full one and love it, a huge upgrade on a cage. The clarity of a visor and the safety of a cage. 

I tried one once and liked the visibility but couldn't prevent it from fogging. I couldn't see a thing at all on the ice. Do you have any tricks? I've heard about using Pledge or some other soap to leave a film on the inside to prevent fogging, but I didn't try that because I didn't know about it at the time.

I wear a full cage now for the same reasons as mentioned above, but I'd love to have the bars immediately in front of my eyes replaced by plexi.

#550 KomarovSoshnikovMarner

KomarovSoshnikovMarner

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

I use washing up liquid, put a light drizzle on, then rub it in, inside and out, and on the chin guard too. I'll put it on at the start of getting changed, then use a fog spray and a cloth to wipe it off. The only time I've had it fog, is when I don't do it.

#551 flip12

flip12

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I think I'll give one a try again this fall.

#552 jtwright2

jtwright2
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

I'm a shameless fishbowl user as well.  Visibility of a shield and protection of a cage, can't beat it apart from looking like a dork.

I use the Bauer fog free spray, and have used others that work well too.  They have the smell of alcohol which i think helps it dry quicker and without streaks.  I never have issues with fog, only sweat dripping down.  Not ideal but better than a hefty dental bill!  (for those who think dental insurance covers tooth implants - it doesn't!)

#553 flip12

flip12

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:16 AM

I don't mind looking like a dork on the ice. Better than broken jaw/nose/teeth. Not to mention the possibility of a gouging injury from a stick getting stuck up inside the half-open parts. They're rare, but damaging when they do occur.

#554 KomarovSoshnikovMarner

KomarovSoshnikovMarner

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

I've had 2 pucks to the face, both deflections, and a few elbows, the fish bowl does it's job. Our coach who doesn't wear a visor nearly lost an eye due to a high puck. I don't know why a cage gets ripped (chirped) and a cage doesn't.

#555 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:19 AM

I caught another high stick to the visor this weekend and couldn't help thinking about the fallout from what could have been with a couple inches lower...

Good to hear that people are using full visors without them fogging up too much.

#556 Adam

Adam

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:47 PM

Bit of a general question for anybody who's sent gloves to pat for mods; has anybody sent a glove to get modified to try to make them smaller/ tighter? If so what did you have done to them?

#557 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:34 PM

Bit of a general question for anybody who's sent gloves to pat for mods; has anybody sent a glove to get modified to try to make them smaller/ tighter? If so what did you have done to them?

-1/2 on the palm (tighten it)
Double backhand pad liner
Gussets reduced to 1/2 an inch

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#558 sveyland1

sveyland1

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

-1/2 on the palm (tighten it)
Double backhand pad liner
Gussets reduced to 1/2 an inch

Here is a great image what they did for me on a pair of gloves that felt extremely wide and loose. They offered to and I quote Ken "Reduce the width of the cuff: We can reduce the palm width at the wrist by either 1/2" or 3/4" and reduce the width of the undercuff by the same amount." I chose 3/4" and also installed double backhand pad liner (bought them with no liners). I kept the palms and gussets because they were already the digital palms and mesh gussets combo I like and didn't want to spend another $90 changing that all on top of this other work, but you can always reduce finger length by 1/4" and taper the gussets or just make the gussets straight at a more narrow height like 1/2" or 3/4"

gallery_9987_395_13959.jpg

By the way, I just have to say I love their attention to detail of moving the Easton tag and how they explained to me what they could do to help with these gloves. I just blindly sent the pair and asked for their advice how they can make it fit better. They really know what they are doing so if you have some specific issue, just ask them.

#559 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

Old school Jofa 9800 shoulder pads (love all the Jofa 9k type pads) with Eagle lower profile caps. Got the caps from hockey monkey. Wanted to keep the Jofa bicep pads, so they cut the eagle ones off of the caps. work done by George's hockey repair St Paul MN   hockeyrepair.comgallery_1862_706_381570.jpggallery_1862_706_405674.jpggallery_1862_706_782369.jpg

#560 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

Usually people wear that crap when they're injured not when they're trying to prevent injury.

+1

that is absolutely dust