Photo

Altered Gear

• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

#741 cgeartron

cgeartron

Posted 21 September 2023 - 01:51 AM

Huge shoutout to Jake for taking on this project! Amazing work and turn around time as usual  :agree:

instagram @ccmcrazylightking

Always looking for CCM CLs size 14!

Let me know what you have!

#742 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 21 September 2023 - 08:15 AM

Holy cow Jake, those look great!

What do you mean by ‘recolor’?

#743 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 21 September 2023 - 01:42 PM

Holy cow Jake, those look great!

What do you mean by ‘recolor’?

The Yandle gloves started out as regular black/white Flyers gloves, then I recolored the logos to gold (Flyers 3rd/WC) using permanent alcohol-based markers that are designed for embroidery. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#744 Firebrand

Firebrand

Posted 03 October 2023 - 10:49 PM

I did eight cuff swaps and one re-color for ccmcrazylightking, all done by hand with a sewing awl and waxed thread. The Yandle gloves started out as regular black/white Flyers gloves, then I recolored the logos to gold (Flyers 3rd/WC) using permanent alcohol-based markers that are designed for embroidery. 

Oh damn... those are cool as balls.

If you don't mind me asking, regarding the markers, what's the brand name du jour? Also, is there a white marker that's effective at covering other colors? I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist, but just curious.

#745 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 03 October 2023 - 10:58 PM

Oh damn... those are cool as balls.

If you don't mind me asking, regarding the markers, what's the brand name du jour? Also, is there a white marker that's effective at covering other colors? I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist, but just curious.

I don't know the name, but I bought them at Michael's. They're grey with colored tips, alcohol based, and designed for textiles. You can only go darker than the original color (ie. cream to gold) and each logo requires a few coats. The color doesn't fade or wear off after 2-3 coats. 

#746 Nuck-sie

Nuck-sie

Posted 04 October 2023 - 08:27 AM

I'm loving this conversation. I've been meaning to do this to a pair of my gloves. I have a pair of navy gloves with white lettering. Our bear league team just switched to Kraken colours so I want to colour the letters to the Seattle teal.

I will definitely source out some markers at Micheals

Thanks for the advice! 

Formerly AussieCanuckHockeyLover

#747 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 04 October 2023 - 08:53 AM

I'm loving this conversation. I've been meaning to do this to a pair of my gloves. I have a pair of navy gloves with white lettering. Our bear league team just switched to Kraken colours so I want to colour the letters to the Seattle teal.
I will definitely source out some markers at Micheals
Thanks for the advice!

Let me know if you find a marker and how it turns out. I mentioned the same thing a few months ago but was going to use angelus fabric paint. Got zero input/feedback and didn’t get around to modding the gloves

#748 Nuck-sie

Nuck-sie

Posted 04 October 2023 - 09:26 AM

For sure!

I might bring a pair of gloves into a Micheals and ask them what they think would work best. Looks like the alcohol-based markers work really well though.

Saves me buying a new pair of gloves lol

#749 Gswift

Gswift

Posted 04 October 2023 - 11:02 AM

I've had great success with Copic brand markers, keep in mind that they have 2 black models, the 100 have a blueish tint, while the 110 is pure black.

#750 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 13 October 2023 - 09:11 PM

For the better part of the year I've been considering coloring my gloves/shell to try and match Kraken colors for my primary team's rebrand seeing as pro stock Kraken gear is difficult to find. I finally ordered two dozen different colored paint markers from Michael's in hopes of finding an accurate match and think I finally found it. Copic BG32 'Aqua Mint' look to be as close as I can get. Granted, I don't have a pair of Kraken gloves to actually compare the color to, but saved countless closeup photos of the gloves and have a RR gamer for reference. 

It was easy to remove the bulk of the colors I ordered straight out the gate as the online representation looked nothing close to the color in person. I started applying 8 different colors onto patches before narrowing it down to 4, then 2, and finally BG32. Once I was confident that color would be the closest, I started with the shell and then said f-it and just did the gloves.

Here's the end result. I think they turned out pretty good!! So if anyone else is looking to color Kraken gear in the future, this method should work

1698011890833-vi.jpg

#751 Nuck-sie

Nuck-sie

Posted 29 October 2023 - 02:20 PM

Wow looks awesome man. Good job

#752 markov94

markov94
  • LocationSarnia Ont,...then Lakeland FLA....then back to Sarnia

Posted 30 October 2023 - 07:36 AM

Wow..they look really sharp..

#753 Nuck-sie

Nuck-sie

Posted 30 October 2023 - 11:26 AM

I got to Micheals and they didn't have that exact colour. Tried something similar but it was off.

There is an art shop right beside my work, so I grabbed a marker I think is close. 

If it looks good I'll post some pics here

#754 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 05 December 2023 - 11:13 PM

Anyone ever beef up shin pads? Took a shot square to the shin a week ago and I am still feeling it. It was a good shot, but not crazy hard. Definitely the kind of shot you would expect to walk away from without another thought. I just got the shin gaurds in the spring, so I wouldn't think the foams have degraded that much. Would updating the liner foam help a lot? Could layers of fiberglass or cf be laminated on top of the shell and add some stiffness? Would be interested to see what people may have tried.

#755 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:11 AM

I found a bunch of D3O sheets with the intention of adding some donut/knee padding to my shins but haven’t gotten around to doing anything with it yet. I’d imagine the same could be done on the shin panel portion to beef up protection although I’m not sure how that would impact fit

#756 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:28 AM

You could definitely mold kydex to them, and or load up some more foam, but like mdwsta said, the fit will definitely change

#757 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:35 AM

I wouldn't recommend messing with shin pads too much. You can add D3O foam like previously mentioned, but it'll alter the fit. Which model are you using? I'd recommend finding something from the made in Sweden Jofa/Reebok line or (easier to find) Super Tacks line. 

#758 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 06 December 2023 - 05:17 AM

Anyone ever beef up shin pads? Took a shot square to the shin a week ago and I am still feeling it. It was a good shot, but not crazy hard. Definitely the kind of shot you would expect to walk away from without another thought. I just got the shin gaurds in the spring, so I wouldn't think the foams have degraded that much. Would updating the liner foam help a lot? Could layers of fiberglass or cf be laminated on top of the shell and add some stiffness? Would be interested to see what people may have tried.

Curious to know which shin guards you are using? 

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#759 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 07 December 2023 - 12:40 AM

I am using Vapor LTX Pro+'s
Bought them this spring when my Warrior ones started to crack.

#760 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:05 AM

I am using Vapor LTX Pro+'s
Bought them this spring when my Warrior ones started to crack.

I'd upgrade your shin pads if you want more protection. The LTX Pro+ are a mid-level SMU (special make up) model of the Vapor line, which is designed to be lightweight and form-fitting. Trying to modify them with foams and carbon fiber would alter the fit and in my opinion, be a waste of time. Right now, there is nothing on the market with more protection than the CCM Super Tacks ASV line. Expensive, but worth the extra protection and peace of mind. I have the previous model (Super Tacks AS1) and they're the most protective shin pads I've ever worn.